Romans 12: 9 says to “hate what is wrong.” This has been a transforming verse within my family. God uses strong language here…does it get your attention? It got ours. Do you ever raise your voice or use strong language to get your child’s attention? I believe this is a loud voice…strong language used to catch our attention. Here’s the verse in its entirety; “Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good”.
When God says hate, I believe He means take action, just like Jesus did with the money changers at the temple, who denied access to people who were not Jewish but wanted to hear Gods word. Hate is not a word often used in scripture so we should pay attention. What God is talking about here is an eradicating type of hatred for evil or the wrongs that are perpetrated on the people He dearly loves. Not couch potato hate that just simply says, “Wow that’s wrong” and then moves to the next thing. I was a couch potato. Until I was confronted with this verse the first time I went to Haiti, began to study Haiti’s history, heard stories of how people have been treated and saw what was wrong with my own eyes. I now read this verse every time I go, to sharpen my mind to what God would have me be aware of. He challenged me! Now I ask myself, “What will it be Dave? Will you pretend to love or will your love be the kind of love that looks like hate… hatred of wrong that’s so deep that it can only be described as love”. It’s not easy if I am honest because I also love stuff, comfort, air conditioning…the list goes on.
I am thankful for a wife who shares this vision for God’s adventure and His passion, who is like minded in her hatred of wrongs. I want to share some things about Haiti and ourselves that we can hate together. Maybe we can partner to really love, not just pretend to love, so someday these wrongs will be made right.
- Haiti is the poorest country in the world*
- Haitian unemployment is 40%, underemployment is 80%*
- Haiti has over 500,000 abandoned and orphaned children*
- Most Haitians live on 1-2 dollars a day*
- Many Haitian children will be sold as house slaves called restaveks…as many as 15%*
- 4500 children under 1 year old die every month in Haiti*
- 25% of children under 5 suffer with malnutrition in Haiti*
- 7% of children born won’t make it to 5 years old in Haiti*
- 50% of the population is illiterate in Haiti*
- Worldwide 25,000 children die every day of curable diseases*
- Christian Americans average household income is $42,000, the top 2.5 wealthiest in the world*
- For every $100 a Christian American makes we give 5 cents to overseas missions*
- 2.75 billion People worldwide have never heard the gospel*
- American Christians give 2.5% of their income to the Church*
- Churches give 2% of the 2.5 % to missions*
- Americans spend 40 billion on pets*
- Americans spend 60 billion on weight loss*
- Churches spend 10 billion on buildings*
*statistics were gathered from UNICEF, CIA world, GCAP and David Platt Secret Church
“Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection,and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality.” Romans 12:9-13