Using the little things to make me stronger…

Dave is gone for the next 10 days.  This isn’t a problem for me, I know how to be alone.  However, in light of this past month, the reality is, I may be faced with decisions I wish I could process with him or some things completely out of my comfort zone.  I was heading into this time already worn and fervently praying about ‘one’ of those things.

Since the hurricane…we’ve had unwelcomed visitors, the creepy crawly kind entering our house frequently…not our team house…primarily our house.  However, for the first time since living here ‘a rat’ came to join us.  This is NOT ok.  They are not small here.  We do a good job staying clean, keeping all food in plastic tubs…we take all the necessary precautions.  But…we do buy local fresh eggs which stay on a shelf since they don’t need to be refrigerated.  He…she…it… found those, feasted and decided to stay.  We set a trap.  IT happily helped itself to the delicious peanut butter and went on its way.  Not ok.  Last night I saw it again.  I prayed.  Each time I woke in the night I prayed.  It’s silly, I know.   I begged the Lord that we would catch it before Dave left this morning.

God answered this prayer with a ‘yes’!!  I am more grateful than you’ll ever know.  I could show you a picture, but won’t.  I couldn’t bear to look at it.

It’s the little things that break our spirit sometimes when we are in the midst of challenging days.  God knew I needed Him to show Himself in this moment.  He uses these times, even ones that are no big deal to another to strengthen our faith, to remind us of His presence.

Because of moments like these instead of saying ‘this is too hard’ or ‘this is not my gifting, not my calling, not why I came here’, when things don’t go as I thought or seem too much, I can choose to invite God to use the process to transform me…however long it takes.

He knows our breaking point.  On occassion He does answer ‘yes’ to even what seems to be the silliest of prayers, but aren’t to us.

He promises to give the weary strength, power to the one who lacks it, wisdom to those who are clueless.  I trust Him to give me what I need.

I want to accept the invitation to become a different kind of person instead of one who runs from what’s difficult, uncomfortable.  I long to become more like Him.

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.  To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.” 1 Peter 5:10-11

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Using the little things to make me stronger…

1. Thank you for sharing! Give all of us in the land of US suburbia some perspective. Praying for all of you and now I will pray for a rodent free home!

2. Gerbrandt Family says:

Such a good message – especially as Ryan is also gone until Friday. There are so many things that I think of that I hope I don’t have to deal with, but that I pray God will get me through if they come. I will be praying for you this week!

Kristin Gerbrandt

Yaounde, Cameroon

3. Steve Nuest says:

Sharron,

I get a devotional from Chuck Swindoll each day. Right now it is on Eligha and how he waited for God to speak and obediently did what he was told even though he did not always see the plan or understand why.

Keep listening and God will show you the answers when HE is ready.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone > >

4. KERRY STENGEL says:

Wow! Thank you for much needed perspective on this Monday morning. I’m not sure I would consider a rat a “little thing” but am so glad God blessed you by getting rid of it before Dave left! Please know that your family remains in our daily prayers as you walk the walk. Grateful for your heart and desire to follow His call!

5. Jeanne says:

Amen. I’m so grateful He is in the little things! Praising God with you! I hate rodents. When I was growing up, probably around 15, I was lying in my bed reading and noticed a lump under my sheet coming closer to me and it was a mouse! Boy, oh, boy, did I scream! The first time I ever saw a rat was when I was dating a man and at night his mom would put rat traps on the counter. We were all watching a movie and heard the giant snap, and sure enough, there lie the rat on the counter. I never ate or drank anything there after that!

BIG hugs to you all ❤️

Sent from my iPad

6. georgewarren2013 says:

Der Sharron,

Thank you so much for sharing about your very unwelcomed visitor. We totally understand! I’m so very thankful that the Lord was so kind and merciful to have gotten your visitor before Dave left. May the Lord show Himself strong on your behalf guiding, guarding, and protecting you while Dave is gone.

Thank you, Sharron, for your love and faithfulness to the Lord; for being a good soldier of Jesus Christ and staying at your post, even through the hurricane and facing the increased unwelcomed visitors as you continually minister for His glory.

Our love and prayers are with you.

George

7. Jennifer Frizzell says:

So happy that thing is gone! We are praying for you and your team!

8. Maria Walde-Douglas says:

Sharron,
    Oh how I HATE rodents….God is using you in such a mighty way right now, friend! I love you so much and am praying for you during this difficult time. It’s a hard place to be when God breaks your heart for,what breaks His…Thanks for being real !

9. Elisabeth says:

God is awesome. I love how personal He is.

I will pray for you both while you are apart from each other.

Please, celebrate with us. Wednesday night was trunk or treat at church. Someone gave out a CEF Halloween tract among the candy. It was way beyond Hazel’s reading ability, but she really wanted to hear the story. She let me read it to her. Hazel has been trying to figure out God and salvation for weeks and at the last page she decided to trust in Jesus. She says it’s like the song, I Have Decided to Follow Jesus. Please, pray for Katelynn as God brings her to mind. James and I are concerned that she has an external “faith” rather than an internal relationship with God. Of course, she can give all of the Sunday school answers. But if you ask her about her testimony, she gets very angry, as if you are questioning the validity of her testimony.

Last night, when Hazel said she thought that Katelynn, she, and I should pray together to accept Jesus, Katelynn made an excuse so that she could leave. I felt that God was validating my concerns about her. So, please, keep her in prayer as you remember.

Love you both,

Lisa Tull

From: Making Haiti our Home To: all4_mr_d8a@yahoo.com Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 9:28 AM Subject: [New post] Using the little things to make me stronger… #yiv0698828898 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv0698828898 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv0698828898 a.yiv0698828898primaryactionlink:link, #yiv0698828898 a.yiv0698828898primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv0698828898 a.yiv0698828898primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv0698828898 a.yiv0698828898primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv0698828898 WordPress.com | David and Sharron Mathis posted: “I sit here this morning considering what the circumstances of life may be calling me to do today that I don’t feel capable of doing on my own.Dave is gone for the next 10 days.  This isn’t a problem for me, I know how to be alone.  However, in light of ” | |